Monday, 19 April 2010

Employers support allowance

I have mentioned this briefly,but a few of you are interested,so I have put the rates here to show you on this benefit,just be warned of the pit falls,as I said before the links might not work,if not then go to the site link I posted before and type in the search box the benefit youre looking for...


Weekly rate during the assessment phase

The assessment phase rate is paid for the first 13 weeks of your claim while a decision is made on your capability for work through the Work Capability Assessment.
 Age of claimant  Weekly amount
 A single person aged under 25  up to £51.85
 A single person aged 25 and over  up to £65.45


Weekly rate during the main phase

The main phase starts from week 14 of your claim, if the Work Capability Assessment shows that your illness or disability does limit your ability to work.
 Type of group  Weekly amount
 A single person in the Work Related Activity Group  up to £91.40
 A single person in the Support Group  up to £96.85
In most cases you will not get any money for the first three days of your claim. These are called 'waiting days'.
Depending on your circumstances you may be able to get more money if you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
You can only get extra money for your husband, wife or civil partner if you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

Pension income rules

If you receive contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance and have a gross pension income of more than £85 a week, the amount of benefit payable will be reduced by half of the excess.
The excess is the difference between £85 and the actual pension income. For example, for a pension income of £100, the excess is £15. The amount of Employment and Support Allowance payable is reduced by half of that, which is £7.50.
If you receive income-related Employment and Support Allowance, any pension income you have will be taken into account, regardless of the amount.

Income Tax

Income Tax will not be taken from income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
There are some other cases where no Income Tax will be taken, for example if you are getting an occupational pension.
Income Tax may be taken from contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance if you are getting either of the main phase rates.
You will get a letter that tells you how much tax you will have to pay, if any. The amount of tax depends on your tax code.

How it is paid

Employment and Support Allowance is usually paid into your bank, building society, Post Office or National Savings account - any account that accepts Direct Payment.

What to do if your circumstances change

It is important to contact the Jobcentre Plus office dealing with your claim if your circumstances change. You can do this by telephone - their number will be on letters they have sent to you. For example if:
  • you do any work, including voluntary work
  • you start training and get a training allowance
  • you change your address
  • you have been in hospital for 52 weeks and part of your benefit is paid for someone else
  • you go abroad


No comments: